Monday, April 2, 2007

Biking the Trail

Monday morning.

I biked to the Boston Common two weeks ago to check out the anti-war rally. I rode along the Storrow Drive trail along the Charles river. By the Hatch Shell there is a pedestrian footbridge that leads from the river to the Boston Common. When I got to Beacon Street I found myself wondering where I should go from there in order to get to the Common. Then I realized that it would be helpful if I could scan a code with my cell phone and that would give me directions to different places.

My project is essentially an extension of the the freedom trail to both edges of the water (Charles River in the West and Boston Harbor in the East). Below is the map of the proposed project (click map to enlarge).


Each point along the trail would have the code that would help give directions to other areas along the trail. A visitor to the city may enjoy the scenic trail along the river as well as having an option of going into the city to visit different historic sites, discover the charm of the old Beacon Hill streets, or grab lunch at a new diner.

one of the ways that might be possible to represent to code for the visitor would be along the light poles. This possibility gives high visibility to visitors as well as easy to locate for people who are not familiar with the area. The downside to this proposal would be that there needs to be a permission from the city official. The process would take time and may not guarantee the approval.




The second option in representing the code is to put it on the sidewalk. The top image is employing the traditional way of painting the sidewalk. the background would be white to give the contrast to the code for easy scanning. The bottom image represents how a code could directly imprinted on to the brick sidewalk. A dot of a code would occupy a piece of brick this creating a subtle pattern on the sidewalk. This method would need to be tested to see if a code can be read with a textured background such as the brick sidewalk.

No comments: